Can any car be converted to CNG?
Ideally, any Vehicle running on Petrol can be converted to CNG to run on dual fuel mode by installing CNG conversion kit. Now, several automobile manufacturing companies have launched CNG version of buses, passenger vehicles, three wheelers and loaders in Indian market.
Can a diesel vehicle be converted to CNG run vehicle?
CNG is a natural fit for petrol engines and is not suitable for a diesel engine. To convert a diesel engine into a CNG one, it has to be first converted to operate on petrol cycle. This process is expensive, hence is not preferred commonly for small vehicles.
What are the benefits of converting to CNG?
- CNG is Environment Friendly - CNG vehicles produce little emission
- CNG vehicle gives greater mileage over Petrol or Auto LPG.
- CNG is cheaper than Petrol or Auto LPG
- CNG has a high Octane rating giving efficiency advantage.
- CNG Engine/ Kit has a low maintenance cost, Intervals between tune-ups are extended, Natural Gas does not react to metals, hence pipes and mufflers last longer.
- CNG is Safest vehicular fuel amongst all other available options.
What is included in CNG conversion kit?
CNG conversion kit has the following key components:
- Cylinder - The Cylinder is used to store CNG at a pressure of 200- 250 Bar to accommodate more volume of gas.
- CNG level indicator - The selector cum indicator switch on the dashboard, enables the driver to choose either the CNG mode or the petrol mode of operation.
- High Pressure Pipe – It connects the re-fueling valve to the CNG cylinder and pressure regulator.
- Re-fuelling Valve - This is used to refuel the CNG cylinder.
- Pressure Regulator - The pressure of CNG stored in the cylinder is reduced from 200 bar to 21 mbar by this unit.
- Gas - Air Mixer - This ensures precise supply of gas & air into the engine.
- Petrol Solenoid Valve - It is used to cut off petrol supply to the engine when the vehicle is running on CNG.
- The Vapor Box - This is used to cut off petrol supply to the engine when it is using CNG.
- Lambda Control System - Lambda control system is an automatically regulated electronic control system which can control car gas (CNG) supply if the car is equipped with Lambda sensor and catalytic converter.
Is running a vehicle on CNG more economical than on Auto LPG ? How CNG is a better fuel than Auto LPG ?
The per unit running cost of a vehicle, using CNG is much lower then that of a vehicle on Auto LPG. Moreover, the mileage of a CNG vehicle can be up to 35% higher as compared to a vehicle running on Auto LPG.
Sometimes auto LPG may be hazardous. As a substitute of auto LPG, some consumer might be tempted to use domestic LPG cylinder, which is much cheaper and much more easily available than auto LPG. The use of domestic LPG cylinder in vehicles is not only illegal. It is not designed to sustain the pressure for use in Vehicle. Any such alternative option is not possible in case of CNG and hence it is extremely safe.
CNG, therefore, is a better fuel in terms of running cost and safety. It has a better availability as well.